An agriculture dominated State, Kerala has tremendous potential for developing Farm Tourism in a big way without much additional investment. About 3,50,000 lakh hectares of land under paddy cultivation can be converted into tourist attractions in order to transfer the benefits of tourism directly to the farmers. As a step towards this, Kerala Tourism has launched Green Farms Kerala, an exclusive venture that aims at preparing the farms/plantations in the State to receive tourists. The project will revitalise the agriculture sector, opening up a new world of opportunity for farmers, while enhancing tourist arrivals to God's Own Country. From conducting farm tours to enabling tourists to be a part of the daily activities in the farm, from showcasing and selling farm produces to offering visitors a taste of the local cuisine, Green Farms Kerala helps generate additional income from farms/plantations.
If you are an individual or a group owning at least 10 acres of plantation at or near a tourist centre, or along an established tourist circuit or major transport corridor, you can be a part of Green Farms Kerala. All you have to do is develop your farm and add on a host of components and facilities as prescribed by Kerala Tourism.
- Minimum 10 acres of farm/50 acres of plantation
- Parking area
- Development of entry area
- Ticket counter, guardroom, gate, name boards etc.
- Compound wall at the entry area
- Stalls or shopping area outside or inside the farm
- Restaurant/coffee shop/snack bar
- Walkways, signage etc. within the farm
- Toilet facilities inside and outside the farm
- Renovation of existing accommodation facilities
- Development of new accommodation facilities exclusively for the tourists
- Interpretation centre
- Souvenir shops
- Tourist information centre
- Communication centre
- Product conversion units
- Industrial units for the by-products
The above list is not exhaustive and innovative facilities can be added to make the farms/plantations more attractive.
Green Farms Kerala units will be selected by a committee appointed by the Government for the purpose, based on the following criteria:
- Location of the farm and its accessibility
- Type and extent of the farm/plantation
- Present condition of the farm/plantation
- Present attractions
- Potential for developing tourist facilities
- Concept/plan for development
Those who are already in the field of tourism will be given preference.
Your application should be submitted in the prescribed format available at the Directorate of Tourism, accompanied by a non-refundable fee of Rs. 500/- in the form of a Demand Draft favouring the Director, Department of Tourism, Government of Kerala.
Incentives & Supports
- An incentive to the tune of 25% for the additional specified facilities targeting exclusively at the tourists, subject to a maximum of Rs. 5.00 lakhs
- Subsidy will be given to the units only after the completion of the project and approval by a committee
- Kerala Tourism will facilitate the farm/plantation owners in getting loans from commercial banks at the lowest rate
- All units under Green Farms Kerala will be marketed by Kerala Tourism through the print and electronic media. The units will also be promoted through the Kerala Tourism website as well as the tourism trade fairs and road shows organised by the Department of Tourism from time to time
- Training for qualitative improvement will be provided to those persons interacting with tourists through institutions like the Kerala Institue of Tourism and Travel Studies (KITTS), Food Craft Institute, the Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology (IHMCT) etc